Monday, July 25, 2011

Caving and Camping

(See my earlier post about my nephew's visit.)

My Mom and Dad came to Virginia to see us and to pick up Ethan and bring him back to Indiana. Originally, Mom and Dad were just going to drive out, stay in our guest bedroom, and drive back. But...they got a cool new RV, so they drove out in that, camped in Broadway on Monday and Tuesday, and then took a more leisurely time getting home and camping on the way with Ethan for several more nights. It was great to see my parents' new RV, but even better to spend time with them.

They arrived here around lunchtime on Monday. Ethan and I drove up to their campsite, visited, and swam at the campground. Then all of us came back to Harrisonburg and I showed them our house as we waited for Adam to get home from work. When Adam arrived home, we went to dinner at Clementine's and had a really nice time. Then my parents drove back to the campsite and Adam and I put Ethan to bed.

On Tuesday, I had to do a storytime reading at the Arboretum in the morning, so Mom and Dad came down and Ethan & I showed them a bit of the Arboretum. Then, as I read for about an hour to a big group of kids, Mom, Dad, and Ethan hiked and explored the Arboretum. It was a hot day, so I hope the forest shade helped them cool off a bit!

Mom and Dad, posing nicely at the arboretum. If you can see Ethan's face, you'll see he's being a goober! :)

Ethan pretending to own this rock at the Arboretum.

After I was done, we met Adam for lunch (he had taken a half-day), and all five of us went to Grand Caverns (America's Oldest Show Caves!), just about 20 minutes south of us in Grottoes, VA. It was a hidden gem.

We went on a 60-minute hike with a fun tour guide, and we saw all sorts of things. (No bats, to Ethan's disappointment.) We saw the differences between stalagmites and stalactites, learned how shields and draperies formed, saw water lines, and traveled more than a mile underground. The caves were used for parties in the 19th century. The caves were also considered "neutral ground" during the Civil War, so Union and Confederate troops were often in the caves, recuperating and relaxing together and then had to go fight each other the next day. The history is extraordinary! I'm posting pictures, but I'm sorry if they aren't amazing...caves ARE rather dark of course! I highly suggest you visit Grand Caverns if you're ever in the area!

Yes. We're going splunking. Rock on.

Mom, Dad, and Ethan looking about in wonder.

The group of us strolling through the cave.

Dad, Adam, and Ethan around one of the reflecting pools.

The beautiful Rainbow Room.

Dad and Ethan admiring the Rainbow Room.

Adam and I smiling in the Ballroom. They used to have dances down here in the 19th century! The ladies would wear one gown into the cave, then change into another one inside the cave...both dresses were absolutely ruined, of course, by the end of the night with all the dirt, dust, climbing, etc. Wow.

Adam and I by the 'Ghost Statue"--it was Harry Potter-esq!

Our wonderful guide!

Adam by a wall that has been signed by visitors since the early 1800s.
(No signatures allowed since 1970, but the history on this wall was extraordinary!)

Ethan at the deepest point of the cave, and also where they found another, deeper part of the cave in 2004 which only 11 people have seen! See the thermometer behind Ethan? It reads 58-degrees Fahrenheit. Brrrrr!!

Leaving the cave. The bars above was the original entrance found by Bernard Weyer in 1804. He started giving tours of the cave system in 1806...making this the oldest "show" cave in America!

Outside the caves, Ethan is feeling the wind blowing from the caves. Spooky!

Adam, Mom and Dad--post-cave!

The littlest explorer finally decided to show his face. :)

Mom and Ethan in a mini-train at a playground outside the Caves.

After the Caverns, we made a quick stop at the White Oak Lavender Farm so that my mom could see if their lavender was blooming. Adam and I bought lavender stress balls, my parents bought some presents, and Ethan petted a bunny.

Ethan petting a bunny at the Lavender Farm.

Then, we went back to our house, loaded up all of Ethan's stuff and headed to the campground where my parents were staying. We played putt-putt there, went swimming, grilled out, and toasted marshmallows for s'mores. (Well, my mom, dad, and I toasted marshmallows; Adam and Ethan chose to burn their marshmallows. To each their own. But why did Adam have to teach Ethan that marshmallow preference?) Anyway, it was just about the perfect summer evening!

Relaxing in Mom and Dad's swanky new RV.

Thanks for visiting us, Mom, Dad, and Ethan! We can't wait to have y'all come back now, ya hear? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment