Saturday, November 19, 2011

Les Miserables

(A much-delayed post....but enjoy!)

Adam is a freak for Les Miserables. He's read the book (the only Hugo I managed to slog through was The Hunchback of Notre Dame), and he has seen the musical in Nashville (twice), Huntsville, and London. So, when we heard that the 25th anniversary production of Les Mis was playing at the Kennedy Center in D.C., we jumped at the chance to go. In preparation, we watched the PBS 25th anniversary concert on tv, so Adam would have an excuse to sing Les Mis music all day every day I could learn the music.

Our tickets were for the afternoon performance in early October. There were two potential problems: One, we didn't know the time the Bama game would be played that day when we bought the tickets (luckily, it was a night game! so we made it home in time!) and, two, my pregnancy had been causing me nausea pretty much 24-7 and I didn't think throwing up in the Kennedy Center would be all that classy. By chance, about a week before we went, my nausea had reduced to just happening in the evenings. Yay!

So, on October 8th, we dressed up, drove to DC, parked at the Kennedy Center, and explored a little bit.




Two of my ChiO sisters and fellow Hanover College alums met us at the Kennedy Center Cafe for lunch. It was so wonderful to see Jen and Lauren, and to catch up on all that was happening. Sadly, we were chatting so much that I forgot to take a picture! After a surprisingly delicious lunch, Adam and I went into the Opera Center. We got there just a few minutes before the production started, but didn't take pictures per Opera Center's request. It was BEAUTIFUL, though! And our seats were excellent; we had our own row of two seats, so I could sit on the end, ready to jump to the bathroom if it was necessary, without worrying about disturbing anyone.

The production was absolutely enchanting. The actor who played Jean Valjean had a magnificent voice, and, really, all of the cast members were superb. My one small complaint was that I didn't think the actress who played Fantine was quite as great as Susan Boyle during "I Dreamed a Dream." (Fantine seemed to go a bit fast and cut short some of those long notes.) However, I still had a few tears there and for several songs, and I know I just can't blame the pregnancy!

It was a brilliant afternoon, and I'm so glad I was able to share this production with my husband. I'll leave you with some powerful words and, if you're like Adam, you've already been singing the whole time you were reading my post, so just go and figure out a time to see Les Mis in person sometime!

"Will you join in our crusade?
Who will be strong and stand with me?
Somewhere beyond the barricade, is there a world you long to see?
Do you hear the people sing?
Say, do you hear the distant drums?
It is the future that they bring when tomorrow comes!"



1 comment:

  1. I've never seen Les Miserables but now I'm going to have to put it on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete