Tuesday, January 10, 2012

It's a ROLL TIDE victory!

Well, that was awesome.

The National Championship game was last night, pitting the LSU Tigers against our beloved Alabama Crimson Tide. The Tide simply dominated, and that made the Copelands VERY, VERY happy!

We had some wings, mushrooms, and a flatbread pizza appetizer from Buffalo Wild Wings; Adam also requested mini-corndogs to celebrate the absurdity that is LSU. All of the food was delicious, and we ate as we watched all the pre-game stuff. Mr. Oliver got ready for the occasion thanks to his mom...


Adam and I were also dressed for the occasion. Usually, we wear our Bama shirts for luck but, because we both had to work that day, we had to dress a little bit differently. Adam received a red sweater and houndstooth tie from his sister Anna for Christmas, and I wore the fabulous houndstooth hat that Anna got me and a red shirt that my mom had purchased for me. Hey, the team did so well, that these might be our new lucky outfits!



I was pretty nervous when the game started, but Alabama just kept moving the ball and scoring field goals. Go, Shelley, go!! Sure, I would have liked a lot of touchdowns, and I was concerned when Maze was injured, but everything just kept progressing. Our defense was A BEAST. LSU didn't get anywhere, and it made me so happy. Goodness, I love our defense.

Les Miles looked a bit befuddled; the Honey Badger was sad; Jordan Jefferson was upset and angry. That's just how I like it! That said, LSU tried hard and their defense did well stopping the Bama offense, especially in the Red Zone. By the fourth quarter, when Trent scored the only touchdown, the LSU defense was just broken because they had tried hard and were simply exhausted. The LSU offense simply couldn't match the Bama defense and were outplayed on every instance. Goodness, I LOVE ALABAMA'S DEFENSE. They bring the power, and they make it look so logical and easy.

Of course, you have to thank and think of Nick Saban. That man can think his way through the game, and he knew what he was doing, how to motivate his players, and could continually adjust. Goodness, I love Nick! Jim McElwain, the offensive coordinator, made up for the November game playcalls and showed why he'll be an asset as head coach at Colorado State. Kirby Smart, the defensive coordinator, is simply a genius.

I know that I was surprised when the fourth quarter rolled around, and we were so superbly in control. I think I expected more of a fight from LSU after all their trash talk (i.e. the Honey Badger bragged that he studied the names of Bama players' mothers, so he could trash talk more effectively....maybe he should have studied how to avoid being pummeled during a lousy attempt at a punt return). But, I think Bama just prepared and overwhelmed....and, hence, we've got 14 National Championships!

ROLL TIDE, indeed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment