Monday, January 16, 2012

Pregnancy: The Second Trimester

Weeks 13, 14, and 15: So far, the second trimester hasn't improved much. Still a lot of nausea, and it bites. However, I've become good at avoiding nausea triggers and in forcing down the things that I can stand. It makes for a fairly bland diet, but it works---and allows nutrients into my (and the baby's) system. You gotta do what you gotta do.

You can see me getting a bit larger.

Weeks 16 and 17: The nausea seems to be lessening. I'm scared to say that out loud (and I don't let Adam say it without giving him a dirty look), but I'm cautiously optimistic. Maybe my nausea will go away for the second trimester. I hope, hope, hope! I have felt guilty not eating perfect meals and giving my child perfectly balanced meals every day. Even though I'm sure it's silly, I feel like maybe I'm not giving him the absolute BEST chance of being a little genius or perfectly athletic. I know I'm being a bit idiotic, but I guess it's my way of feeling entirely responsible (right now) for a little tiny person. Our child has a whole life in front of him, and I want it to be an absolutely wonderful, rewarding, and amazing life. I just want to do whatever I can to make his dreams come true (even if he isn't dreaming and doesn't have a focus right now).



Week 18: All of the information I read said that pregnant women generally start to feel the baby's movements between weeks 16-20. For first-time moms, I guess it's usually between weeks 18-20 because we aren't quite sure what to expect. For the last couple of weeks, I would put my hand on my belly and just feel nothing. Not surprising, I know, but I was looking forward to feeling kicks.
Anyway, the night of the Alabama-LSU game was a sad night in the Copeland household. That stupid honey badger! Not the best Bama playcalls! All those missed kicks! However, after the game ended, Adam and I were just sitting on the couch, frowning, and trying to figure out how we could be optimistic. To be honest, I was more bummed than Adam; I take losses a lot worst than my even-tempered, optimistic spouse. Well, lo and behold, I had my hand on my little bump, and I felt a kind of weirdness happening. The things I read said that early fetal movements could feel like butterflies, but that's not how I would describe it. It was like there was a patch of emptiness but it would move across my bump for a couple of inches. Then, I would feel absolutely normal. Then another patch of emptiness would hover and float around. It was FREAKY!

I think the baby chose that night to showcase his movements for a few reasons:
  • He was attempting to tell us that, in 19 years or so, Alabama will finally have a great kicker--him!
  • He was trying to kick me out of my funk.
  • He wanted attention.
  • He was trying to tell us that football, while interesting, would not be his sport of choice. He wants to be a soccer player or a martial artist.
So, those are my best guesses. Whatever the reason, his little movements did make me smile! Roll Tide!

Week 19: Not too much different, other than a lot of stress. I had a bunch of grading and work to do, and that tends to distract from the baby. But, hey, you can't be baby-crazy or baby-focused all the time! However, the nausea seems to have gone away completely...THANK GOODNESS!!! 10+ weeks of non-stop nausea was more than enough!

Week 20: This week was a great week, as we found out the sex of our baby! We're having a baby boy!  Adam and I decided on a name fairly quickly (actually, we decided on the first name when we were only dating....our minds meld nicely), but we're only letting immediate family know the name. So, everyone else will be surprised!  :)


Strong leg...our little soccer star!



Also, this week was Thanksgiving, and so Adam and I enjoyed our first major holiday just by ourselves, no traveling! It was wonderful and relaxing....plus we registered at Babies R Us and Target. Registering for baby was a little overwhelming, but it was fun too. But, man, there's a lot of stuff for baby....hopefully the baby showers will help us get it under control.  :)

Week 21: Not too much different, except in how I'm popping out.


Week 22 and 23: Between decorating for Christmas, grading finals, and doing stuff at the Arboretum, I have little time to worry about the baby. I'm glad that I'm only teaching two classes next semester because I'm really tired almost every day and I know it'll just get worse. Plus, this is the time of the semester where my due date will be in April! I've got to stay focused for grading at the end of the semester, so a lightened load will be helpful.

Ready for a Christmas party!


Week 24, 25, and 26: The holidays! See my post about traveling and our splendid baby showers!!


Week 27: I just feel huge all the time, like a load of junk has been strapped to me. Good fun. What bothers me the most, though, is that I'm still a real person! Seriously, everyone just always asks about the baby and comments on things that I write or say (that have nothing to do with the baby) with baby stuff. I'm still a person! I can go to the movies and buy non-baby furniture and more...all without necessary baby commentary. I guess it's just frustrating because I already feel like my body has been taken over by Baby Copeland, and I still want people to acknowledge that I have a mind and feelings of my own! Luckily, teaching is nice because at least my students know that I have something to teach them...and talk to me as one person, not just a baby-carrier. And, luckily, Adam and Oliver treat me as myself--that makes me feel much better.  :)
Beyond that, though, I'm glad to have lots of support and happiness in my life. And I hope that the third trimester continues happily! Thank goodness that the nausea has gone away...stay far, far away! Maybe some of my heartburn will lessen, and I'll be able to sleep better but, compared with the nausea, I feel lucky with those smaller issues.

Giant belly...

On to the third trimester! Huzzah!

1 comment:

  1. You are as gorgeous as ever!!! You don't look any different to me! Except a little tiny bump! Your smile still would brighten a dark room!!! xoxo ~ Sasha

    ReplyDelete