Thursday, February 3, 2011

Props to February!

When I was growing up, February was kind of a boring month. It was short, still cold, and there weren't really any fun holidays for me to celebrate. I have a healthy dislike of weather-predicting rodents; I don't think that we got Presidents' Day off; and it wasn't like Valentine's Day was all that. Sure, sending/receiving Valentine's Day cards in elementary school was fun and my parents bought us a bit of chocolate, but it wasn't like Christmas or Easter or (glory of glories) Hallowe'en. Plus, there's that whole creepy lovey-dovey vibe. Since my dad wouldn't let me date until I was 16, and since I didn't have a date until I was 18--I was firmly on the "love is so silly/trite/idiotic" train for awhile. :)

Now, though, February is actually a pretty cool month! My nephew, Ethan, was born five years ago on February 15th....he shares a birthday with Galileo (who shares a birth year with my buddy William Shakespeare!). Two-and-a-half years ago, I met another fabulous February birthday boy: my husband Adam! And, every year, on February 20th, he finally catches up to me, age-wise, until my August b-day rolls around. In addition, I kinda like Valentine's Day now that I have someone who will give me love and happiness year-round. Uh-oh, my 15-year-old self is sneering at my 31-year-old self!!

So, February, you're doing pretty all right. I've got a steady job and steady household. I'm looking forward to the following this month: a fun (and tasty) superbowl party, a weekend visit from my wonderful in-laws, a Valentine's Day dinner at CrossKeys Vineyards (where we tied the knot last March), many fun birthdays to celebrate, possible snow-tubing or skiing at Massanutten Resort, planning for our upcoming trip to San Antonio, drinks with friends, appreciating Harrisonburg's apparent no-snow-allowed policy, and a happy dog who doesn't have to walk outside in bad weather. To some, it may not be much. To me, it's Februtastic! Huzzah!

My February birthday boys!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge fan of Valentines Day and the weather is usually cold and dreary, so I'm with you on not feeling the love of February. You have a lot to be thankful this year and the makings of a fabulous Valentines Day in the works!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever since Nathan and I made it a goal to go somewhere in the yucky months, I have loved February because it means (at long last) an escape to somewhere warm and lovely. Last year Phoenix (okay, maybe not so lovely) and this year, San Fran!

    ReplyDelete