Thursday, July 29, 2010

a-dreaming again!

Adam and I went to the movies this past Sunday afternoon and we saw Inception. In a previous post, I talked about how I love dreams--figuring out what they mean, relating them the people, and generally appreciating my sub/unconscious. Inception is all about dreams, and I absolutely loved it. It was both thought-provoking and packed with action, a combination that I haven't seen done well since The Dark Knight (and, even then, all the thought-provokedness came from Heath Ledger rather than from the movie itself).

I'm not going to spoil the movie for you because that would just be sad. But I do suggest that you see it--preferably with someone that challenges you. I'm lucky to have Adam (and I think he's lucky to have me) because we both like discussing the movies that we've seen. We don't always agree, but I love that we pick up on different details, different themes, and even different meanings. And, wow, Inception gives you a LOT of things to discuss! (On a sad note, I haven't been able to remember my dreams for a couple of days now...but Adam has been taking up the dream-remembering/telling slack).

Very cool things about Inception:

http://boingboing.net/2010/07/27/inceptions-musical-s.html

http://www.filmdetail.com/archives/2010/07/28/inception-timeline-graphic/

Go see the movie! Then talk to me about it! (I figure spoilers can go in the comments section, so feel free to comment about the movie and your thoughts there.)

2 comments:

  1. I am happy you and Adam have seen it because it gave me a chance to ask someone else (besides Roger) about the last scene. That was what had us puzzled. I liked it more than I thought I would. Sometimes I get lost in that kind of movie and have a hard time keeping up. I thought it was very well done and loved the music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Teddy! I'm glad you liked the movie too. I liked the spinning totem at the end of the final scene...to me, the totem was wobbling, thereby indicating that the totem would fall and that we were in reality. However, since we never saw the totem fall, though, I think the movie wants us to question whether Cobb is actually back in reality or if he's still dreaming.
    There's a fun article here (http://screenrant.com/inception-spoilers-discussion-kofi-68330/3/) that talks about the ending. The first couple of pages of this article are pretty neat too, but only this page gets into the meat of the final scene.
    In the end, I think the movie wants us to question why we accept some aspects of reality and why we reject some. If something bad has happened, I know that I try to say "it'll get better" or "things will improve" and then I try to make things improve. However, when I do that, am I actually denying reality and trying to force reality to bend to my will? In that way, does emotional upheaval signal a different type of reality? I'm not sure if that makes sense, but the thought might set up some intriguing discussions about mental acuity, dealing with grief, religion, and emotional stability.

    ReplyDelete