Saturday, March 12, 2011

San Antonio Trip: Day One

Adam and I visited San Antonio during our spring break...and, boy, did we pack in a lot of fun! Adam lived in San Antonio and worked at a San Antonio church, Northside Church of Christ, for a couple of summer internships in college and then for 5 years after college, before he left to earn his M.A. at Alabama. Needless to say, he has a LOT of friends in San Antonio! Luckily, most of them still liked him (j/k! they all still love him!), and I got to be introduced to many of them. Everyone was so welcoming and gracious; I really hope we get to go back very soon. :)

Day One: Adam and I each worked at our jobs from 8 a.m. until noon on Friday, March 4th. We had spent the evening of the 3rd wildly packing and (in my case) trying to figure clothes/shoes/things that I could live without for a week. So, I was a bit tired on the 4th...but I had an insane amount of work to do: visit two schools to promote Arboretum programs, enter all the scientific/common names of all the wild and exotic flowers in the Arboretum for a project concocted on Wednesday and that would be implemented the next week, correspondence with tour groups, and a few other things. At least it kept me busy...and I had fun! Finally, though, it was time to travel!!

Traveling...in our matching t-shirts! We got these for our honeymoon,
so we decided to have a new "travel matching" shirt each year. :)

After I raced home at noon, Adam and I scurried around--eating, walking Oliver, packing the car, thinking of things we forgot. We then drove to the airport and boarded the teeny-tiny plane right around 2:30. We took a flight from Shenandoah Airport (teeny-tiny, but close to our house) to Dulles. Our next plane left a little bit late, but the pilot made up some time in the air, and we landed in San Antonio at 8:30 their time. 'Twas nice weather (maybe just the slightest chill in the air) when we landed, which I appreciated since Virginia has been WAY too cold for me.

Adam at the airport....he likes his mac products fo-schizzle.

We picked up our luggage, checked in for our rental car, and were impressed with how quickly we arrived at our pretty rental car. The first thing we did in the car: Why, turn on the Spurs game, of course! The Spurs were playing the Miami Heat and were doing pretty awesome already (ahead by 12 or so in the 1st quarter). But the biggest surprise was that Tony Parker was playing! Parker had been injured a few games beforehand and wasn't expected to play anytime soon (a disappointment, since we would be going to Sunday's game), so that was a happy omen.

Our cute silver rental car!
(Thank goodness I didn't have to drive in San Antonio traffic!)


Adam drove me through a bit of San Antonio as we made our way to the home of Tina and Greg Wharton, with whom we stayed on the 4th and 5th. Tina had worked closely with Adam at Northside and, after introductions, we chatted, ate pizza, and had a fun visit. The Spurs helped make it magical by smashing LeBron and Co. by more than 30 points. :) Then Adam and I went to bed and pretty much crashed.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait for the rest of the posts! I have always wanted to go to San Antonio, but I have never made it out there. Post lots of photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun trip and I am very jealous that you still get to take spring break trips!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, the next few posts will have many, MANY pictures! (and more on facebook)

    And, Abby, I know I'm super-lucky to have spring break off. It's good mental health; every company should institute a spring break!

    ReplyDelete