Thursday, March 31, 2011

Breaking News: Royal Wedding Cancelled! :(

Ok, the British gossip rags (which I read religiously) broke this story yesterday, but I didn't believe it. But today, BBC news, Buckingham Palace, and Clarence House have all confirmed the story. I'm devastated.

The royal wedding has been cancelled!


Of course Clarence house (Prince of Wales' place + official residence for Wills and Harry, for royal press release purposes) and Buckingham aren't giving any details. Respect the couple, blah, blah, blah.

BBC news says that they are awaiting reliable information, but that the Bank Holiday for the wedding has been cancelled and that all the vendors will be paid "for services rendered and intended." I'm not sure what that means in British-speak.

The Brit gossip rags, though, have any number of possibilities. The one gaining most popular support seems to be that Wills engaged in "naughty behaviour" during his bachelor party the weekend before last. One magazine had interviews with the call girls who intimated, well, that Wills had been intimate with 6 of them! Another gossip rag said that Camilla had offered the setting (outside London) and had chosen girls that she knew Wills would find attractive. That horsey-faced spoiler of royal marriages!!

Kate is rumored to have called off the wedding, though most magazines qualified that by saying that Mr. and Mrs. Middleton counseled her to simply accept the "rowdy" actions of the prince. Kate's dressmaker will still be paid by the Middletons, but it looks like the dress will be British royal family property. (Guessing it's not going to be on display?)

Personally, I'm shocked and greatly saddened. Those two cute kids seemed like a great pair; they took their time and went through ups and downs, but they seemed so happy during these months of engaged bliss. I know that royals have a different lifestyle than I can imagine, but Wills didn't seem the type to have call girls and all that. I KNOW Diana wouldn't approve, and I hope Wills feels like he let down his mom. I hope he feels like he let down his whole country. After the Charles/Camilla debacle, this was his chance to prove that he was an intelligent individual, marrying an equally intelligent girl, and that, together, they could bring a new breath of life, poise, and class to the royal family. I guess I'll just sit and stew in my unhappiness, but my thoughts are with Kate. And I'm proud of her to have the courage to call off this wedding; I'm so glad that she didn't just go through because of public pressure and to then have an empty shell of a marriage. That girl has a lot of class! So, even though today, April 1st in London, may be known as the day the Royal Wedding got called off, I'll always remember it as the day that even royals can't escape from being fools for love. And, yes, there are key words in that last sentence. God save the Queen, of course, but, let me tell you, Shakespeare would NOT be pleased!

5 comments:

  1. Happy April Fools' Day!
    My best wishes to Wills and Kate...and I can't wait to see the wedding. But, this idea for an April Fools' joke was too good to pass up. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You almost broke my heart. Well played.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I'm a sucker. I fell for it hook, line and sinker. But at least it kept me on my toes when Luke called trying to tell me that Josh Willingham was hurt and wouldn't play in the A's opener!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CATHY. I was so excited, because I am the complete opposite of you. Way to raise and then dash my cynical hopes.

    ReplyDelete