Tuesday, March 15, 2011

San Antonio Trip: Day Three

Sunday, March 6th was church-n-spurs day!

We woke up, dressed, packed up, and went to Northside Church for the second service. Since we were leaving the Wharton's house, we had to be sure that we had packed everything...and we haven't found that we've lost anything yet! :)

Adam worked as the youth minister for four years (and interned for two summers previous to his job) at Northside. Needless to say, everyone wanted to say hello and meet his wife! I loved watching Adam with his friends, and I loved meeting everyone! I didn't take any pictures because Adam didn't want to pose outside Northside....sorry!

After church and more talking, Adam and I quickly changed into jeans and Spurs shirts. I have a Tony Parker shirt because I SO LOVED he and Eva Longoria Parker, when they were together. (I had a theory that converged the Spurs with Macbeth and it's a wonderous theory...ask me about it if you want to be amazed and a little bit scared.) Anyway, the t-shirt looks good on me, so I kept it. Adam just loves the Spurs, and, since I'm going to be hearing about the Spurs for the rest of my life, I decided last year to embrace the Spurs-love and cheer them on (and root against all other teams)!

We drove to the AT&T Center for the Spurs vs. Lakers game (3/6/11) and waited for about 30 minutes until the doors opened. Pictures were taken, children dressed in Lakers' gear were pitied, sights were seen.

Outside the AT&T Center...some inflatables, lots of people, beautiful sunshine!

The pair of us at AT&T Center!!

My hot Spurs-loving husband

Then we got into the arena and explored all sorts of things before we got food and went to our seats. (The players were warming up, so we got some shots of the court from the lower deck.) The hallways of the arena were spacious, strung with lights, and there was fun memorabilia all over the place. Everything looked really sharp with the Spurs' black-and-white all over the place.

Copelands in the AT&T Center!!

The Championship Cow (from Cows on Parade)

Fun, colorful lights were all throughout the hallways of the arena. Very festive!

David Robinson on a painted backboard for charity

Also, I earned 35 baskets in the 40-second Quick Hoops game (Adam earned 18, but he *said* the balls were slow in coming back to him)! And I am a horrible b-ball player!! Honestly, with my kind of phenomenal luck, I should have known we were in for a weird, almost unnatural afternoon.

Our seats were great. And the food was yummy!

Our view (with my drink providing some perspective)...it was a great view!

Go Spurs Go! We got the noisemakers because we got to the arena so early!

Here are some zoom shots of some of our favorite players, pre-game.

Tim Duncan (#21)

Manu Ginobili (#20)

Rookie James Anderson(#25) with Ginobili and Duncan

And one shot of the Lakers warming up...BOO!


Then, the game started. 2 points to the Spurs, then the Lakers just got all the other points, it seemed. :(

Coach Pop trying to get RJ and the team motivated!

The Spurs cheerleaders were all sorts of raunchy/slutty, so I'm not posting any close-up pictures of them (also, I didn't take any up-close pics of them!). But the whole atmosphere was just sensational and spectacular. Very, very spectacle-focused; I kind of felt like I was a Roman in the Coliseum at times.

Spurs cheerleaders....ummm, the outfits were rather scandalous,
but I was impressed that they could dance in their high-heeled boots.


Beyond that, though, we LOST. WE LOST BADLY. The first quarter we were down by more than 20, and it stayed just as pitiful throughout the whole game. The Lakers couldn't miss a shot, while the Spurs couldn't hit anything. What misery! I was going to count it as a victory if the Spurs got within 15 points for the final score. It ended up being 83-99, so that was a bust too.

Ummm, at least they didn't reach 100?

Final stats. Yep, the Spurs shot 36%.
At one point, the Lakers' shooting percentage was in the 70s. Geez.


Sadness, post game :)

I was pretty sad, and I felt like it was all my fault because I must have been a bad luck charm. Adam tried to convince me otherwise, but I didn't really cheer up until we had some really excellent Persian food and some red wine. After that delicious meal, we went to Adam's friend Becky's house. She was hosting us for the evening and also threw a soiree for all of Adam's non-church San Antonio friends. Lots of good talk and laughter commenced, and it was great to catch up!

No comments:

Post a Comment